Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Fight Is On!

When my brothers and I were kids, two of us had to wear glasses (we still do!) The youngest (Lee) was SUPPOSED to wear them for reading, but refused. So my other brother (Glenn) and I hated him. Nothing personal, you understand!

The number one rule in our house at that time, besides not running in and out of the air conditioned living room (that meant letting the cold out of the room every time we went thru the curtain!), was this; if we got into a fight with each other, the glasses had to come off first! Period. End of sentence. Woe be to the one who forgot and risked or actually did get their glasses broken!

Number two rule was to take it outside. That made a lot of sense, seeing how we were living in a tiny little house at the time on our grandparent’s farm. I can’t remember how many fights. or “tussles”, we had back then, but I do remember they fell off sharply when at one point grandpa came out with a folding chair and made a production of setting it up and sitting down to enjoy the free show. I’m sure we kids felt rather silly when he did that. I was rather embarrassed!

You know, I’m constantly amazed at how well we turned out, and at the fact that we managed to survive childhood relatively unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment